Here's another reminder about sunsets and sunrises and church libraries
February 02, 2013.
For the first time in nearly 400 years, the Borrominiana Library located in Rome's San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane church was opened to the public.
Dozens of people filed in to the small, but historic, and highly valuable collection of titles dating as far back as the 16th century.
Juan Maria Monaijano, a historian at the University of Malaga in Spain noted that the books
“have been here since 1634, when architect Francesco Borromini built the library. Several of the items haven't been moved anywhere, which makes the library exceptional.” The library is located inside the little baroque church of Church of St. Charles at the Four Fountains and guarded by an Spanish order of monks connected to the church.
Overall, there are 14,000 books. They range in topics from geography to theology and include novels such as the first editions of works by Don Quixote. Reopening the library would not have been possible without hard work. Decades of neglect left
the books in delicate condition.
The monastery, working with the University of Malaga, and other
Spanish and Italian agencies worked to restore the library and
then catalogue its contents.
“Starting in July, the library will be at the disposal of researchers, something that has never happened. It's historic.” Because of the fragility of items in the collection, visitors will be supervised at all times.
Nonetheless, the library's keepers feel that is a small price to pay, for the immense value they will receive.
Read more here
About San Carlo alle Quaattro Fontane